Friday 23 December 2011

SLED [5 pts]



This year, Liam and Hannah received two new sleds as early Christmas presents. There was to be a cub family sledding activity and we were woefully unequipped. So, as dutiful parents we trekked down to Canadian Tire to pick out appropriate sled. There were several different models in varying price, construction, durability, ease of use and more- choosing one was somewhat more difficult than I originally hoped. (Pick up sled and pay.) Clark eyed the classic GT snow racer model, complete with steering, brakes and a handy tow rope. I preferred a newer innovation- the Zipfy mini luge. Guaranteed to send you hurtling down the slope at break-neck speeds, it was a sure bet for any races. (This wasn't for me of course, I could watch safely from the sidelines. Hannah would do the hurtling) Since we needed two sleds, we each took our choices home and wrapped them up.

Saturday morning, Liam and Hannah excitedly unwrapped their presents and set to work. Both were excited. Hannah initially was a little leery because hers was smaller and not quite as cool, but I knew the real test would come. I watched smugly as Clark and Liam set to assembling the GT- Hannah's was in one piece with no assembly required, so we were free to just hang out and watch. Once everything was finally assembled, (including losing and finding the missing lock nut) I waved happily to everyone as they tromped out the door to enjoy the sledding. I had Christmas wrapping to do.

Around lunch time, my red-nosed, happy family came back through the door. Hannah had won hands down. Liam's sled definitely was a good performer, but for sheer speed- the Zipfy was a winner. (Little victory dance for the girls!)

Now, I took the kids out again yesterday to the same hill to do some more sledding. Lest I sound a little too self-congratulatory, the Zipfy was a little tough to control on the packed terrain, and quite honestly, there was no way I was sitting on it. I took a couple of runs down on the GT, thankful for breaks and a modicum of maneuverability. Everyone had fun!


Snowy mama!

Beamin' Liam!


Happy after a good run.

No comments:

Post a Comment