Tuesday 15 November 2011

BE [4 pts]

I had an epiphany today, of sorts. I guess it was more a reminder of what I'm really trying to do here. It often seems a struggle to teach everything I think my kids should know. They're good readers, but are they good writers? Can they handwrite? Do they understand how the government works? Are they good at mental arithmetic?

Sometimes I think it's my sole responsibility to distil the knowledge of the universe into their sponge-like little heads. What do they need to know to flourish in this world? Then I realized: it's not what I want them to know. It's who I want them to be. If they can BE life-long learners and excited about the world, then they'll search it out. If they will BE courageous, they can stand up for what's right.

I admit, many of these Be's are not mine: they come from President Gordon B. Hinckley, 15th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And certainly it's not a comprehensive list, but it's a good start.



BE:

KIND

COURAGEOUS
PROBLEM-SOLVERS

POLITE

GRATEFUL

HONEST

CLEAN

TRUE

SMART

HUMBLE

PRAYERFUL

COMPASSIONATE

HARD-WORKING

INVOLVED

LIFE-LONG LEARNERS

No comments:

Post a Comment