Wednesday 16 November 2011

SNOWMEN [12 pts]

I started out the morning planning on continuing our solar house project for science. Unfortunately, we couldn't locate the magnifying glass needed for the next set of experiments, so I decided to take advantage of a project I had planned, but set aside: the science of snow.

We certainly have enough of it here already. It's actually the pretty, drifting snow you see on commercials that gently blankets the world and makes me glad that I can stay inside.

But back to the science. Today we learned all about the different shapes of snowflakes: hexagonal plates, stellar plates, stellar dendrites (the most common) as well as needles, columns and bullets. We collected, drew and diagrammed; we watched a movie on how snow forms. Let me tell you, I am feeling informed on the topic.

Finally, just for fun, we made robot snowmen. I picked up the idea from the Science Mommy blog, and it turned out very well. Even Liam, who is not an arts and crafts kind of guy, enjoyed making his tyrannical snowman leader with little snowmen underlings. Ahhhh, boys.....


This is one snowman you don't want to mess with. 
Hannah enjoyed designing her snowmen robots.

I love the marette hat and mitts. Can you tell their dad is an electrician?




No comments:

Post a Comment